The Stories' Story

It all started with a rejection letter. After another unsuccessful year for auditioning to Denver School of the Arts, I swore I would never write again. Sure, this time around I made it into the interview but afterwards, I received a standard business envelop with my mailing address. It was light, near empty, but I held it up to make sure it wasn't. Nervously, My nails scratched at the letter and slowly unfolded the white sheet.
Dear Anastasia,
Thank you for your interest in Denver School of the Art. Unfortunately, we are unable to extend to you an offer of admission at this time.
And up the paper went in flames. I took a photo and a lighter to the edge. Gone --words evaporated leaving ashes on a snow-covered roof. For almost four months, the only words I wrote were the ones for school. I felt defeated because I immediately blamed myself --obviously it was my poor skills. 
One afternoon at a Starbucks waiting for my annual optometrist appointment, the motion in my hand revived. It was a poster for the Castlerock Writer's Convention. There was no age limit posted and instead was the contact information for the woman in charge. Timid, I typed her an email explaining who I was --a teenage girl who likes words --and if it would be a good place for me.
A week later I received a call from her. She told me there would be speakers, lunch, and free pitches. The speakers included a woman known for her magic in making motions, a woman animal tamer, and a pill in the form of a woman made to make your river's flow. The free pitch came with a list of agents, one of which was in charge of a teen magazine.
One month and two week was all I had. And in that one month and two week, I managed to finish over  half of my manuscript. I spent every waking minute writing. Through breakfast, lunch, classes, and sleep all typing away finding old poems and reworking them until they matched. By the time the conference came, a new glow came over me. I wore my orange suit jacket after three months of simply hanging in my closet and was ready for whatever came my way. That very conference was where I met my editor --who liked my story idea right off the bat --and a few agents around Colorado. I learned what a pitch was and the best way to present. 
Almost a year after receiving my decline, February 15th, I was beginning the edits on my book. Never did I believe I would be this far so soon. Now six months from then, I am sitting on top of a published book, website, and growing career.
This all started from a pile of ash. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing Dreamcatchers: 5 Steps to Keep Them Close

631|Get Rich Quick