48.77|Billions in Dollars
I am God, are you?
For those of you who know me personally, I am very passionate about what I sink my teeth into but I often times do not have a very strong grip. I have currently taken on the task to clarify my level of sanity and take pride in the answers given. As of right now, I have been labelled as insane but quite frankly, I would rather be insane and fighting a cuase than average but socially sane.
How do you define sanity? I like to challenge the idea of perception. If everyone was to jump off a cliff, would you? No, because that's stupid and you know better so unless you were being chased by zombies or had a parachute, you would not subject yourself to iminate death. Yet, we as a society subject ourselves and our planet to the slowest and most painful death.
Recently, I haven't been feeling very passionate. I have been working a lot and studying even more but through and through, I always keep a goal in mind.
I want to change the world.
More specifically, I want to help develop a sustainable source of green energy. But, that is hard and lenghtly, so in the meantime, I take small steps to reduce my carbon footprint. I take the stairs, I recycle, I shop local and organic, I garden, and I am a vegan. Did you know that 72.3% of commerces is based on the sales of animal proteins. This is an amount $50 billion industry.
But, Ana, aren't you unhealthy and lacking protein? No, kiss my ass, I feel worse after eating animal products. The only valid argument I can find is that out of 23 amino acids, a little more than 5 essential amino acids are not found in plants. Plants are less fatty and have fewer health consequences than meat. But, there are more grand rewards from being vegan than just yourself.
If everyone was to jump off of a cliff, I would meet them at the bottom with a giant cushioned mattress. I do not want to save the man in the top office in Spotify horrified by herione needles, I do not want to save the struggling mom of five in Downtown LA working three jobs and still in poverty, no. I do not care about saving the people who are too ignorant to save themselves. I care about the little boy in Africa and little girl in India that will never even have the choice to turn away from luxury like fast-food burgers.
Let's talk about cows. Cows are responsible for half of California's water usage --California that has a two year drought. Cows also produce methane --one molecule of which is equivalent to 20 carbon dioxide molecules. Cows are also pumped with antibotics and grains to make them fat and clustered. One cow takes up to one thousand gallons of water from feeding to delivering while a bean takes about three hundred gallons.
Well, Ana, what about fish? Fish are just as bad. 95% of the Earth's oceans are being fished for commercial sales. That means hundreds of species daily caught and killed. Some of these areas are fished for 19 hours or more out of the day. The nuclear waste that has been coming from Japan has also been misreported and not fully monitored so the numbers we are given are largely underestimated and soley approximations. Furthermore, tuna is a bigger fish meaning it is filled with cations from industrial waste and trash --elements including mercury.
But me telling you this information isn't enough. My education is also not enough because we are taking about a global task that will involve the whole world to change. I have started a fundraiser for a Colorado charity supporting Engineers for a Sustainable World. I plan to start another local student chapter at my university. Maybe if more people are aware, we can at least slow our rate of change and save a few species while we can.
Here is a list on what you can do to be Greener:
1. Carpool and Carshare
2. Use public transit
3. Unplug electronics when not in use, even from the plug
4. Shop local
5. Grow your own herbs
6. Use green products like Seventh Generation
7. Donate to https://www.gofundme.com/365rotations87
8. Boycott these brands
9. Be vegetarian if not vegan
10. Don't be lured by almonds --they're water wasters
11. If you have to, eat chicken
12. Recycle!!
13. If you garden, its easy to compost
14. Shorten your showers
15. Only throw in the dishes that matter into the dishwasher
16. Small loads can be hung up to dry
17. Buy natural products or naturally derived products
18. Stop relying on drugs for everything and use some home remedies
19. Especially avoid these companies!!!
Comments
Post a Comment