Heel Clicks

I am 5'6 which doesn't seem like a bad height. When I am on stage though, the mic reaches about 5'6. I am one of the youngest readers I have seen at the poetry groups I go to. But fear not! I am Anastasia and designed to be obnoxious.
Whenever I go to poetry readings, I wear heels. They always clack on the floor when I approach the stage. I love the sudden silence it brings to the room. My performance starts before I even reach the stage as my heels begin the conversation.
Coming from a Russian household, no matter the height of the woman, she is always in heels. It gives me the edge I need when I enter a hipster club. Everyone is dressed in something interesting but no everyone is in heels.
This crazy idea of wearing heels to every event came from the first time I read. I was nervous as hell. My name was called and everything around me froze. I heard breaths of the people around me and felt their eyes inspect every centimeter of my body. Up I stood, up went my skirt, and click-click-click went my heels. Perfect, the girl is also a freak. Not only did I not have a journal, I had an iphone. My heart was beating out of my chest. The first sound that came out was my heart before an arrest. Instead, as my fingers shook, I decided to point out the obvious and glaring.
"Good thing I wore my heels tonight. I can actually reach the mic!"
And off this trend went. The crowd laughed and my heart settled. Sure my leg still twitched and I fiddled around with my heel but it was perfect.
The fluid hits of a heel hitting the ground step after step reminded me of the rhythm needed to read a poem. Beat after beat to keep a pace steady when ready. This is my exact problem, I read far too fast but remember my heels clack on the floor calms my pace. Step after step, breath after breath, word after word, until every stanza has been delivered.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing Dreamcatchers: 5 Steps to Keep Them Close

631|Get Rich Quick