Goat Activists

All she wanted was some leafs
That's what we all want, some leafs. Whether it's leafs of paper for more poems or leafs of information. Recently, I went to the Laughing Goat cafe in Boulder, CO. It felt fitting to have a goat reaching for her dreams as the starter for this because Boulder was my sign of moving forward. I finally began calling more people instead of holding it off in drafts of emails. Finally, I began writing stories for literary journals as my nerves seem to settle.
Nancy is her name and I sort of wish this goat was her too. She started at poetry readings as well but now, she is in charge of a writing program and helping people with their manuscripts. We got in touch once I finally started looking up events. I found her writing on an old Facebook page for reading. Long story short, she suggested I look into a different source of revenue. I should be attracting young readers not in bookstores but where real teenagers hang out. The internet. 
Now, I write stories and poems for literary journals. After over a month of puking at my writing, I have second breathing in me. I've learned to love my poems again. After having my insulting whispers finally interrupted by compliments, I have enough pride in my work again to consider my boy's edits terrible when needed. We now act as a true team instead of me desperately hoping I'm good enough. I'm realizing I am. Laughing Goat was the test. Even though I walked out defeated, I can't wait to go back. I have new material and feel stronger than ever. Maybe it's yoga teaching me how to breath but I can exhale sadness and inhale empowerment. No more running towards success building anxiety but rather happiness creating sensuality.
With my path finally cleared, I want to help those how come after me and around me. When I was sitting at the Laughing Goat, being the blaring Denver native, I chose to cover a woman's tab because I could. Despite the gentle encouraging squeezes from my boy, the way her eyes sparkled when I did was all I wanted to see at that moment. She reminded me we are all some what the same. That night, I stopped wanting selfishly and wanted to please others. This is why we are artists. Not for ourselves but for others to feel our joy when we create.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing Dreamcatchers: 5 Steps to Keep Them Close

631|Get Rich Quick